The Stonegate Cumberland Presbyterian Church began as the Edmond New Church Development with the first worship service held on Sunday, November 3, 1991, at the Haskell Elementary School 1701 NW 150th Street Rev. Kevin L. Wood the first pastor said: “Discover Stonegate Church along with us. We believe ‘people need the Lord.’ Join with us and be a part of our exciting new fellowship!” This invitation is still alive and true. Sixty eight people were present for the first service, including people from the local community, some from Red River Presbytery, and members of St. Mark (now Eastlake) Cumberland Presbyterian Church, our sister congregation in South Oklahoma City.
A Task Force from Red River Presbytery, including Donna Heflin, Jerry Smyrl, Wes Rucker, Buddy Baltimore, Dale Nease, and Jack Barker, representative of the Denominational Board of Missions in Memphis, Tennessee, had made preparations in September, 1991, for the development of Stonegate Church, and the purchase of seven acres of land located at 17101 North Western Avenue.
Since the beginning, the church claimed the theme, "People Need The Lord." The name Stonegate came as a suggestion by a member of the Presbyterial Task Force, Dale Nease. He observed the two stone pillars at the northeast end of the property and remarked, "How about Stonegate Church? That sounds like a good, solid name for a church."
After relatively slow growth in the first years of its existence, in March, 1993, the congregation moved to a new temporary meeting place known as The Just Off Broadway School of Dance, for Sunday School and worship services. The place for a new building was located on 15th Street in Edmond. They continued to meet there for three years. Sunday, March 27, 1994, the Edmond New Church Development was officially received by Red River Presbytery as an organized church. Fifty two charter members were present and the first five elders were ordained and installed. Early in 1995, the elders, pastor and congregation began planning for the first unit of the three-phase building plan. Financing was secured from the denominational Board of Finance, and architects and a building contractor were hired. Soon after groundbreaking in January of 1995, the 6000 square foot facility began to take shape.
The congregation's first Sunday to worship in the new building was Palm Sunday, March 31, 1996. There were one-hundred-thirty-five people present. April 27, 1996, The Red River Presbytery, together with the congregation, dedicated the new building to God's service in the Edmond-North Oklahoma City Community.
Through an anonymous donor, two beautiful stained glass windows were added to the sanctuary in late 1999. Also in 1999, the two stone pillars at the northeast of the property, were taken down in order to be used as part of a new permanent sign. The entire project was completed very soon.
The congregation prays for the Lord's choice to come to them, as they strive to live up to its mission and attempt to become more of a neighborhood church, while drawing people who live in Putnam City, Crescent, Guthrie, Edmond and Oklahoma City.
The vision of the Stonegate Cumberland Presbyterian Church was “People need the Lord” and was realized through teaching how "To Know, Love and Follow Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, in the power of the Holy Spirit according to the Scriptures.” We are still developing mission congregation.
In May 2013 pastor encouraged entire congregation to continue church vision
from the beginning through church mission according to pastoral call:
Lead like Jesus…, Lead to Jesus…, Be led by Jesus!
In 2019 changes became visible, transformation gave us "wings," therefore, Stonegate Chuch motto enhance our mission and we call: Experience the Love of Christ in Community!
Exciting things are expected from different types of people and leadership God has led to the fellowship of the church. The congregation works hard to make sure each new member is quickly assimilated into the life of the church with some special service to the church. Something good happens almost every day to encourage the church in its mission. The daily schedule is designed for training in service as well as to cement relationships.
This is historical scan of first Stonegate Church Bulletin
of November 3, 1991.
Front page - 1
Order of Service - 2, 3
Back page - 4
OUR CHURCH Roots
Cumberland Presbyterians are members of the Presbyterian and Reformed family of churches. The Cumberland Presbyterian Church came out of the old Presbyterian Church, February 4, 1810, on the American frontier, as the result of differences over theology, ministerial education, methods of ministry, and the Great Revival of 1800.
We are a growing denomination with more than 822 congregations serving in 19 states. We are currently planting 75 new congregations. We have a Presbytery in Japan with a number of churches, and a previous Moderator of the General Assembly of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church is from Japan Presbytery. In Colombia, South America, we have a number of churches and the Cumberland Presbyterian Church owns and maintains Colegio Americana, the largest protestant school in Colombia. Because we are a connectional church, all congregations in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church share in the mission work of the denomination. Japan Presbytery is a direct result of this mission work and a fine example of what a connectional people can do.
Our members reflect many denominational and theological backgrounds. We are evangelical Christians, but often prefer to call ourselves "Bible-believing Christians." We believe salvation comes by grace through faith in Jesus Christ and that we have been commissioned to preach this good news to all the world. We have an official statement of beliefs in our Confession of Faith to which we require loyalty on the part of ministers and church officers.
To learn more about the History of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, visit the